Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Postnatal depression

It started on the third day after giving birth to baby Zann.

I had finished feeding Zann and decided to lay her down on my bed. The baby had dozed off and Lia was beside us looking down at her baby sister. I then started feeling a little down. At the same time, baby Zann stirred, and started to cry. An emotional rush hit me and I found my tears flowing. I quickly went into my adjourning wardrobe area where I started sobbing. I came out a while later slightly more composed as I realised Zann was still crying. Lia saw me and asked why I'm crying? She said, "Why you cry? Like mei-mei... Why you cry?" I couldn't reply and shook my head implying it's nothing and all's fine as I picked up baby Zann.


From that day onwards, I started getting negative thoughts. It was especially bad in the mornings when Lia had gone to kindy, and James off to work. I had looked forward to Lia being a big sister, sensible and all grown up but now, I am missing the moments when there were just the two of us. No James, no baby Zann, just the two of us by each other's side. James had a demanding job so it was always Lia and myself; we shared meals, shared ice-creams and snacks and tidbits. We shared the bathroom and showered together, and we shared my bed, and took naps and slept till dawn together. It was just the two of us and we had clearly bonded very well for the past four years and more.

I started to have regrets on having baby Zann. I thought that she had disrupted our lives and I couldn't help but missed those good old days. I just couldn't visualise any happy times with baby Zann and as I dwell on the fact that those days would never come back again, my regrets grew deeper. I got very upset and would break down in tears whenever those thoughts came into me.

Every morning, after James and Lia leave the house, I'd stand at my window and look out for Lia's school bus eyeing it until it went out of sight. I didn't bring her down as I was in confinement, I would have gotten my way if I insisted but I didn't and so James took over temporarily. I wished for James to stay home with me; and he could only do so for the first couple of days. I was blaming myself; why had I bothered having a second child? I thought I'd brought it upon myself having to start from scratch taking care of a new baby when Lia's getting independent.

At the same time, Lia kept wanting attention and she wasn't behaving well - I knew it's always like that when a new baby comes along, but at that time, it made me very guilty as I had brought it upon her. We had to start being stern with her, and scold her, of which I'd hate myself after doing it. I thought I was hurting Lia and it was just too much for me to bear. I was suffocating.

All these while, I had my confinement aunty caring for baby Zann. I don't feel connected to my baby, and we were merely bonded by the fact that she's my daughter; no mushy feelings, no kisses, no nothing. But good thing is I still have this responsibility towards baby Zann and I hung on breastfeeding her. I was actually half hearted and I contemplated to stop. But I couldn't bring myself to do it as I didn't wanna be unfair. I breastfed Lia till she turned two, how can I stop with baby Zann now?

I was still rejecting baby Zann and I had thoughts of letting my parents look after her, full time that is, at their place, and we'd only visit on weekends. In this way, I could go back to the good old times with Lia isn't it. I also had thoughts of giving baby Zann away, to a relative and not to strangers for adoption, because contradictingly, I would wanna see her again. I started shortlisting people, of whom I wanted to give up baby Zann to, and wondered if they'd accede to my request. But I can foresee the regrets I'd have in the years to come, so, adoption is not an option. It then came to a breaking point that I wished baby Zann would die. No, I did not think of killing her but I'd wished for her to die of natural causes; I deeply regret conceiving her in the first place. I knew that I will be guilty in future if I killed her myself, and I do not want this regret in my life either. How great it would be if she could just leave on her own, I thought, then we could resume our usual lifestyle. I started finding ways on how I can escape from baby Zann; I realised I didn't want to care for her, it was just too much of a hassle, I thought. I wanted to go back to work, employ a maid, and leave her over at my in-laws' house. The maid could look after baby Zann, and do the night feeds which I have started resenting. It seemed like a perfect way out, and my moods actually calmed down for a while.

I didn't expect all these during my pregnancy. We'd planned for a Dec (2008) baby but I ended up with a miscarriage. We stopped talking about it for a while and somehow we became pregnant again shortly after. Though baby Zann came rather unexpectedly in a way, we've gotten very enthusiastic about her as time went by. During my pregnancy, I took good care of myself and rested as much as I could. It was all smooth and my labour was short, and good. Following that, I was in good hands of my confinement aunty whom helped took care of Lia too. PND hit me, when I least expect it.

When my depression started, I knew. I knew I was ill, and I started seeking help. I found my way to KKH's Mental Wellness Clinic for women, and it was there where I met my physiatrist and case manager. I welcomed medication for I knew I needed it, and my doctor was good to give me an effective and breastfeeding-safe one. My case manager was my listening ear, and I am glad to have gotten to know her. I also chanced upon
Alicia's encounter with PND, and she was a great one taking time to chat and share her experiences with me via email.

When I finally told my mom about my condition, she in turn told my pa. They were very concerned about this matter and pa doesn't relish the idea of a maid looking after baby Zann. They then decided that mom would quit her partime job, and come stay with me. Mom will help with the care of baby Zann to relieve me of the stress and to free up my time so I can resume my usual activities with Lia. We were glad that Mom came, her presence made a huge difference and she was good with baby Zann. Well, she was already good with Lia to begin with.

Family support is crucial for times like this, and I am really blessed to have them with me all this while. I am getting back on track; I've just seen my doctor last Friday and we agreed that I can now cut down on my medication. Those negative thoughts, have diminished. I can feel my love for baby Zann growing and a few nights back, I had a sudden urge of wanting to sleep with her in the same room. (Mom took the kid and baby in the same room as herself) It was heart warming as I looked at her sleeping, and I actually yearned to be with her. I am starting to find her cute, and have started planting kisses on her chubby cheeks. :)

This explains my disappearance for the past weeks, it felt like the end of the world on my bad days and I thought I would never recover. Now, I am really glad to have come out of it. Like Alicia, I hope that by sharing my experience, I can in turn help someone out there come out of it too.

Labels: ,

22 Comments:

Anonymous Xanthe said...

Mommy Gene, stay strong!

June 10, 2009 3:26 AM  
Blogger Gene Ho said...

Hello there,

Thanks, and I just realised, my baby's name is similar to yours! :)

June 10, 2009 6:18 PM  
Blogger D boys' Mum said...

Being a mummy is always not easy.. so i don't have courage to go for No. 2. Take care and stay strong!

June 10, 2009 10:11 PM  
Anonymous Xanthe said...

And I'd though that it was intentional on your part! Haha!

Hey, have you any idea that your chatterbox may have been deleted?

Anyway, I would prefer my online identity to be known as Hello Kitty. So... look out for me!

In the meanwhile, upload more pretty photos of your daughters!

June 11, 2009 1:41 PM  
Blogger Amy Choon said...

Hey Gene,

i understand what you went thru, becos i went thru the same as you. though not as bad. i wasn't happy that tara disrupted me and my hubby's life. stay strong. hope the depression and blues go far far away...

rgds
amy

June 11, 2009 3:44 PM  
Blogger Gene Ho said...

Dillion's mum,
Thanks, and you're right, I think being a mom is one of the most challenging task in the world!

Hello Kitty,
Haha, no lah, I didn't realised it until yesterday. Ya, my chatterbox being deleted, prob I've neglected it for too long and they decided to take me off. Am trying to upload a video of my baby Zann, hope it gets thru...

Amy,
Hello there, why aren't u in action recently? And what actually happened?? Thanks, I will be strong for my family, I wont let PND bring me down again. :)

June 12, 2009 12:09 AM  
Blogger about LeEcHoO said...

my dear, glad to see your updates again. pls be strong, we both know tt our # 2 didn't come easily... pls treasure her!!
btw, did you changed ur hp #?

June 14, 2009 4:19 PM  
Blogger Gene Ho said...

Hello Leechoo,
Thanks, and yes indeed, not easy for baby Zann to come along so I am picking myself up all over again. :)
Did change my mobile number some time back, u didnt receive my notification? It's 818***38. Let me know if u dont have it and I'll text u ok.

June 15, 2009 12:14 AM  
Blogger Amy Choon said...

Hey Gene,

in action meaning? my blog updates ah? lots of things happening at home and really no mood for updates le. Even thinking of closing up the blog.
Oh, that time was pretty much like you. not connected with tara and kinda blame her for disruption in my life. but slowly the blues go away and then the maternal love kicks in. just hang in there ya. yours kicking in already. i'm sure one day you will find joy in spending time with both your princess. grit your teeth and wait for that day to come. :P

June 15, 2009 12:44 PM  
Blogger Gene Ho said...

Amy,

Ya, no updates in your blog for so long and then when u do, u posted something weird and that made me guessing. I can understand, when u've got no mood, u wont feel like blogging about your downs and all.

You're right, my maternal love's kicking in already. That's why I'm ready to start blogging and all. Previously just didnt feel like updating and sharing my joy - of which was almost non-existing!

June 15, 2009 4:48 PM  
Anonymous Reen said...

hi gene,

i'm glad everything is working out well now :) sometimes we take a break from blogging or outside world to sort out our thoughts, its perfectly normal and we deserve a break too :)

huggies for you :) i was thinking if you are too busy with 2 kiddos that's why the postings stop.

When my 2nd ones comes this november, my elder daughter will also be 4 years gap :) i hope i can be postive at all times and learn to adapt to new lifestyle with new baby.

Hope to see more of your photos and postings, i am always checking them out! cheers!

June 17, 2009 12:40 PM  
Anonymous Reen said...

Gene,

can i ask if your confinement lady is good? i happened to saw you enquiring a confinement lady at another blog, did u manage to get that aunty? i am asking her to do my confinement this novemeber.

June 17, 2009 1:15 PM  
Blogger Gene Ho said...

Hi Reen,

Congrats! Having a new baby definately needs getting used to, but once the hard times pass, we'll start to enjoy them! You can do it!

My confinement wasn't the same one as I did not get a reply from the blog's owner. Got mine from the spore motherhood fourm and she was alright, no complains except for her fees, she's charging $2.2k!

June 17, 2009 6:05 PM  
Anonymous Reen said...

hi Gene,

Thank you for replying to me despite the fact you must be truly busy with 2 kids now :)

Hey, i am keeping my finger cross that she is really good! This is my 1st time hiring a confinement lady.

Thanks for your encouragement, i always love reading your blog, so kind of miss your postings when you stop..hahahahaahah...

I hope Lia and Zann will be a pair of lovable siblings to each other :) I'm sure the age gap helps in getting understanding and help from the elder one...heehheee

June 19, 2009 10:33 AM  
Blogger Gene Ho said...

Thanks Reen, you make my day. :)

Actually, this is also the first time I've engaged a confinement lady, luckily, she turned out fine and I'm glad that she is a modern and health conscious one. Can you imagine, I got to bath like twice a day (with boiled herbal water of course) and she helped me cover up when my mom or MIL comes visiting! But, the weather's very hot too and as I'm bfdg, I got to keep myself clean right. Keke! A pity though, I was too bogged down by PND that I couldnt enjoy my confinement properly.

June 20, 2009 12:08 AM  
Anonymous Reen said...

Gene,

i'm glad you have a good confinement lady :) let's hope mine is ok ok as well..hahaa..

me too, will take bath no matter what...i mean the weather is so hot these days and if we keep ourselves away from bath, i doubt we will enjoy the confinement too, i don't like sticky body and smelly hair..hahahaa..

i think we need to feel good about ourselves, kind of love ourselves so we learn to love others :) this way we feel refresh when we face our little ones.

June 22, 2009 11:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gene
Glad you managed to overcome it. It's not easy as i had been thru but not that serious as yours.
At that time, i kept wanting to do everything myself, kept thinking my maid will throw the baby down when i am not ard....etc, a lot of negative thoughts in my mind.

Don't worry as your lil' baby zann grow older and her schedule is more stable, you'll enjoy it even more! Especially when both girls are playing together.
Continue to have positive thoughts and be "bo chap" worked!

June 25, 2009 6:36 PM  
Blogger Gene Ho said...

Reen,
Reading from the posting by the blog owner, the confinement aunty seemed very good and popular! Btw, u got the contact from "Upperroom" right? And yes, pls ensure u are clean and all, will go crazy lor, if cannot bathe in this kind of weather! And, very unhygenic when it comes to bfdg. -_-"

Hello Mama Lee!
Thanks, I have been quite bo-chup when it comes to baby zann recently, probably getting reliant on my mom, haha, but it does takes stress of me. :)

June 30, 2009 10:43 PM  
Anonymous wan yee said...

hi
we met before at LC's place. Not sure if you still remember me.

Glad that you are fine now. Coping with 2 kids is never an easy job, at least for me. lots of adjustments which we might never experience it when we had our 1st born. So, jia you! You have lots of supports around you and most importantly, you never give up yourself. :)

July 04, 2009 10:51 PM  
Blogger Gene Ho said...

Hi Wan Yee,

I dont really remember you, sorry, keke! Anyway, thanks for visiting my blog and showing concern. :)

I didnt expect all these when i was still preg, like we say, one wont know the "smell" until u kena it. And yes, support is really important, be it from the family or doctors, I am glad to have listening ears when I needed one.

July 21, 2009 9:36 AM  
Blogger MomsyWorld said...

Glad u are well already, Gene !!!

It really is tough having to manage expextations from our first born...

ur baby is lovely...and good about this incident is...u know and willing to seek treatment for PND :)

July 26, 2009 10:17 PM  
Blogger Gene Ho said...

Hey Fannie, thanks! :)

Yes, am glad that I am not in denial of my condition, else, the recovery route will be tough.

July 29, 2009 9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

back to top