Monday, January 16, 2006

Lia's hepatitis A vaccine and breastfeeding issues

James was on leave today and we brought Lia to Kidslink Children's Clinic. Well initially, I had wanted to do an accessment, but the nurse started talking about some hepatitis A vaccine and after we've personally talked to Doctor Vanessa Tan about it, Lia, she ended up with one. Our little girl is braver this time as she did not ... (I am superstitious lah, some things are better left un-said) and she kept looking when Doctor Tan was doing the injection on her thigh. =) Total charges were like S$ 92+.

Ok, so before the injection, Doctor Tan was giving the little one a check, and again, we had the same comments from Doctor Tan: "Talia is on the small side eh..." But, Doctor Tan knows that Lia has been small all along, and so she said that as long she's growing, she's fine... She is not underweight, just on the small side (Yea, I know that already...) and Doctor Tan even added: "Maybe she's like you, small built..." Whoa, that, I don't mind hearing over and over again! =D

However, there is one down part; Doctor Tan mentioned that breastfeeding over the age of one is not the best option for them anymore. That is because breastmilk is lacking in iron and many mothers have actually overlooked this factor. Oh... How disappointing... Well I don't know what to say next...

Question: Wasn't breastmilk the BEST milk for every child? I am really disturbed by this and I sought help in the La Leche League forum.

This is what I've posted:

"Hi everyone,

There is something that has been troubling me since this morning when I brought my little one to the PD for her jab.The PD, she was mentioning that breastfeeding beyond the age of one is not really the best option, as iron is lacking in breastmilk. That disturbed me quite a great deal as I have always believed that breastmilk, is the BEST milk for any child. Besides, I have had a very hard time starting out establishing my milk supply, and thus, I am not giving it up just like that!

It is true that after 6 months of age, we have to start our babies on other sources of iron-rich food besides breastmilk, and I believe that with proper meal planning, they can get enough of iron, well not only iron, but other sources of vitamins the body needs right?

Anyway, I just wanna be sure that Lia and I, we're on the right tracks still... I don't blame the PD though, she must have her reasons for saying those to me..."

And these are the replies...

First one, from a LLL leader, Doris:

"Hi Gene,

there is a lot of misconception about iron levels unfortunately. Breastmilk is low in iron, but high in vitamin C and therefore all the iron in breastmilk is readily absorbed. Studies have shown that exclusively breastfed babies have higher iron levels then those started on solids and or supplements early, so yes you are quite right that mother's milk is adequate for the vast majority of b/f babies.

Exception would be preterm or ill babies who may need extra vits.

You may find these links helpful.
http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/vitamin.html

This link is a non LLL resource but very informative!
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html"

Thank god 'Guan-Yin' for you, Doris! You've made me feel so much better already! (Hee, me Guan-Yin believer...)

A second reply, from a fellow mom I guess...

"Anaemia is uncommon in the breastfed baby. As Doris says, although the amount of iron in breast milk is small, it is well absorbed-between 20 and 40%, as opposed to only 4 % absorbed from iron-fortified formula. The high lactose and vitamin C levels in breast milk aid in the absorption of iron."

For those interested, here's the
link...

And so, what's the verdict?

"I am not giving it up just like that!" :D

Mommy Gene
Hiak!

7 Comments:

Blogger VW said...

Gene, jia you jia you :)
I will have to read up too. E is resisting milk... I won't say rejection as she will drink only 120ML now. Headache...

January 17, 2006 8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Gene

Came across this article, hope it reassures you:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html

Point to note, some PD's have their philosophy about BF and all, you do not need to allow theirs to influence yours. Just find out enough, and stick to your guns. Worst comes to worst, find a doctor who supports what you believe in.

HTHs *wink*

oyster

January 18, 2006 8:52 PM  
Blogger Gene Ho said...

Hey Wenn,

Thanks for the encouragement! Is Elodie teething again? That might be the cause...

January 19, 2006 6:17 PM  
Blogger Gene Ho said...

Hey Oyster!

I did not read up much on extended bfdg before as I have never thought I would go this far! Haha, and now, have taken things for granted liao!

Thanks for the link, now I know what to say should anyone comes up telling me the *blah-blah-blah-and-they-thought-they-know-it-all-facts* on extended bfdg! Hiak!

January 19, 2006 6:22 PM  
Blogger VW said...

Gene, not teething leh... only 2 lower incisors for the past 4 months...

January 20, 2006 8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Gene

As long as Lia is supplemented on grains, protein and mineral diet, mum's BM will provide all the necessary anti-bodies required.

oyster

P.S:. My daughter is so adept at BF, that she can sit, stand and kneel BF, while mummy here can multi-task like touch-typing on the keyboard like now. *hee*

All the best. Nice hairdo!

January 21, 2006 6:50 PM  
Blogger Gene Ho said...

Wenn,
I hope Elodie's back to her norm, is she?

Thanks Oyster,
And yes, anti-bodies! One of the best thing in our BM! Haha!
Well, it's fun isn't it huh? Lia is also doing the same, she also likes to shake her bum in mid air while bfdg! ;p

January 22, 2006 12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

back to top