Wednesday, March 22, 2006

My Birth Story!

I guess some of you must have realised that I have a new 'story telling' header on my sidebar. Well, I was thinking, since this blog revolves around our little one, there must be something, a story, on how she came into this world right? ; )

I have had my birth story saved up in my computer and now, it is time to unleash it! (Some fellow FBO-ers would have read it but this is the improvised version!)

Alright, here goes!

The story's quite long, as I was in labour for around 13+ hours.

On the 19th December 2004, a Sunday, at around 8pm...
James and I had just done a day of shopping and we were resting and watching TV ... I was lazing on the couch when I had a slight crampy feeling in my lower abdominal, it lasted just one second and then, I felt water leaking out from below! I stood up immediately, told James about it, and quickly rushed into the bathroom... Sat on the WC and my waters just kept on leaking. Tensed and excited, I tried my luck and called my gynae, Doctor Lee Keen Whye's clinic number. Luckily, the line was diverted (just as I had thought, the line would be diverted to somewhere, somehow) to his assistant's mobile. Iris (the clinic assistant) very calmly told me to proceed to the hospital to get myself checked and if there is a need for any further procedures, the staff there will inform Doctor Lee.

Alright, my hospital bag was already collecting dust packed ages ago and I had early picked out the outfit to wear. James and I changed, and I gave my dog, Teri, a pat and told him that I am going to the hospital while he has to be good and stay at home to wait for me. (Yea, people talked to their dogs) Teri knew that something was going on as he nervously looked on us rushing around the house. He did not even bark in resentment (which he always did) when we close the door behind us. There wasn't any contractions yet and James and I, we had nervous little chats along the way. Reached the hospital at around 8.50pm and proceeded to the labour ward. Told the nurses my condition and they sent me in for checks.

9pm, nurse Mila confirmed that my waterbag has burst because there is a lot of flow, and I am 1cm dialated. It is good that we have had pre-register my admission and things were easier now. Especially when both James and I were so nervous and excited, our minds were in a whirl!

9.15pm, contractions began... It felt like menstruation cramps and I got moved into the delivery suite (room 7) next door.

9.45pm, Doctor Lee arrived... After checking me again, he confirmed and announced that I am in labour!

10.35pm, my contractions were getting more intense, with the pain stretching to my hips and buttocks. Contractions were very regular as Doctor Lee commented, and they came like every 2,3 minutes lasting around 20, 30 seconds each time. Doctor Lee then asked if I am getting an epidural. Good question; well, I had wanted to, on my next routine check, ask for his opinion on whether should I opt for epidural during my labour but I never had the chance to... Doctor Lee assured me that I should just go ahead with it if I want to. No worries about those 'stories' I have heard from friends and relatives, that they, in private practice, are very good at it. But I should ask for it anytime now, as it was already 10pm+... Rather then asking an anesthesian to come at midnight or wee hours when he/she is already half-asleep!

10.45pm, I asked for the epidural. I was worried that I might faint from the pain as I go into the later stages...

11.10pm, the anesthesian arrived and he efficiently proceeded with it... I had to curl up my body (like a shrimp) and turn to lie on one side of my body, which happened to be my left. James was asked to leave the room and I felt like tearing already. I felt a jab (pain!) and that the anesthesian was trying to poke something into my spine... It wasn't good at all and my face cringed in pain. My position wasn't good enough and the anesthesian told the midwives to make me bend more (I really felt like a shrimp now). Round two, the same procedures and pain again, and I cringed my face even more. Finally, he was done. But that was more than I could bear and my tears gushed out non-stop... James was shocked when he returned to the room, asked me why I cried and whether was it very painful; I could only nod my head.

12.40am, on 20 Dec 2004, it's Monday already... Midwife, Madam Choo took my temperature and found that I had a slight fever. She promptly removed one blanket and asked me to use just one only (I had earlier requested for additional blankets as it was cold in there!)

12.44am, still feeling my contractions, quite strong ones.

12.54am, trying to catch some sleep despite my contractions but the auto blood pressure system keeps coming on every 30 mins making it difficult for me to drift off properly. (Which explains why I managed to text all these notes into my mobile)

12.57am, midwife, Madam Choo came in with a cup of ice cubes for me to suck on, had to cool my body down she said.

1.25am, still feeling my contractions... I have had epidural, but why ain't it workin?? Though my right leg is starting to get numb, but it did not relieve me of my pains...

1.59am, starting to get hungry despite the pain... But Madam Choo had early advised that no food for me in case I vomit as that's gonna make me feel worse... No choice lor, have to endure...

2am, I buzzed for attention as I am still feeling my contractions. The nurse (I did not catch her name) checked and commented that I had a full bladder and that might be the obstruction... She proceeded to fix up a catheter for me and that helped empty my bladder without me getting off my bed. She checked my dialations, and I am only 1cm+ dialated. What??!! I thought, still stuck at 1cm+ only??!! Oh gosh! How much longer is this gonna take??? The nurse then turned up the epidural dosage to maximum for me, or else no point if I am still getting my contractions, she said...

2.37am, feeling very numb in both legs and getting drowsy... Hmmm, condition seems to have improved! YEAH, can finally catch some sleep! Zzz...

4am, Madam Choo came in and woke me up. She wanted me to do some breathing exercises inhale some oxygen... It is good for me and baby as well, she said. Okay, so I followed her instructions and half way through, I felt myself drifting off... drifting off to nowhere... Whoa, that was very high indeed! Madam Choo then took my temperature again, had gone down to normal, phew!

5.14am, was awaken by a buzzer. Oh, it's my drip, finishing already... Bother! And James' awaken too...

5.40am, felt two really strong contractions and buzzed for attention again. I am worried that it'll affect my dialation... A new midwife, Theresa, came in and after my 'complains', she proceeded to fiddle with the epidural device... 10 minutes passed, Theresa then asked me how I feel; I am getting numb again but still, I can feel some pains...

6am, the epidural effects start coming back... I am feeling even more numb and drowsy... Told myself to relax and hope for the best!

6.24am, Theresa came in to check my dialation, only 3cm (what??) and Lia's head was not ideally down yet. Well, the little one wasn't even engaged when I went into labour, so all these are expected... Theresa then commented that I might drag on till noon... I started thinking of the worst and was worried that I had to undergo emergency c-section at this rate I am taking to dialate! C-section; following that it'll be harder for me to breastfeed as my wounds would be hurting, and the hospital bills might just shoot up real high! Throughout my labour, I kept saying my prayers (since I had no chance to sleep) and also kept telling my baby to cooperate, and that mommy loves her very much, so she must be good and emerge soon okay...

7.13am, Iris (Doctor Lee's assistant) dropped by for a visit... (Remember, she was the one whom picked my call the night before) Iris is amazing. She is very experienced and she comforted me a great deal, which I am really thankful of...

7.30am, both my mom and mother-in-law called to check on my progress... Mom called me while mother-in-law called James, almost at the same time! Still way to go, I told my mom and I can hear that she was quite worried...

7.50am, contractions came back again! This time round, it had spreaded to my lower back! The pain was way beyond my imaginations and I couldn't bear it and teared again... It was then we realised, my epidural had ran out! Theresa quickly changed to a new tube (my third tube) of epidural and checked me, 5cm dialated and baby's head had come down lower! Things are starting to look brighter now!

9.39am, Doctor Lee came in just at the same time as Theresa wanted to check my dialation. He took over and I heaved a sign of relief when I hear him say: "Okay, fully dialated, baby can be seen in another 2 hours time probably..." PHEW! Theresa then reduce my epidural dosage to the minimum so that I will have the sense to push later. Alright, hang in there, gotta face some last contractions! Theresa and I can see that James is getting nervous and we even teased him! Theresa was saying to James that should he feel dizzy later on, there is a stool at the corner of the room for him to go sit on, least he faint and Theresa won't have the time to look in on him! "I have to take care of your wife first lah, don't make me too busy okay!" Haha! Theresa is so cute, she had managed to lessen the tension by the joke she cracked!

10.15am, Theresa came back in and after checking, she said that I am ready to start pushing! I had to push hard with every contraction that comes along. It is easy because I am feeling my contractions back again. My legs are still numb and I felt like having elephant thighs! No strength in them and Theresa had to help me hold on to them! After 5-6 rounds of 3 big pushes each, at 10.35am, I am ready! Doctor Lee was called in and I had to relax while waiting... I was worried that my little one would go back inside after I had stopped the pushings and Theresa laughed it off when she heard me ask! Cannot blame me, first time mum, no experience mah... Haha!

10.39am, Doctor Lee arrived. I knew that this is gonna mark an end to my labour (and also, pregnancy) and there was a sense of sadness, for a while. Doctor Lee proceeded to put on his gear, rubber boots and robe with the help of a midwife. Another midwife had came in and Iris was also here. Doctor Lee then instructed me to pushhhh... With around 2-3 rounds of 3 big pushes, and a lot of pressing on my tummy (that hurts too!) by the two midwives, my little one starts coming down further! Doctor Lee stopped me and gave new instructions. For the next few moments till Lia was born, I was to follow his every instruction very carefully, push means push, and once he calls stop, I have to stop immediately. So with one short and hard push, out comes Lia's head! I was relieved when Doctor Lee told me this and I can still remember him saying: "No worries okay, her head is already out!" And with another short and hard push, out comes Lia's body! Doctor Lee was able to handle the rest and within a while, we can hear Lia's cries! Upon hearing Lia's cries, Doctor Lee commented that she is doing fine, for a baby that was almost premature - at 36 weeks and 05 days gestation, she is crying very well! I had also started crying by then and I knew that I am finally done when Lia was placed back on my chest for warmth. The new midwife that had come in, said that I did very well when she saw me crying. Oh really? Did I really do well? I was asking myself in my mind... I then touched Lia's little foot and thought, what a miracle, this is MY baby... Perhaps I had really done well... And it was very very touching indeed!



Hee, that's me and MY baby!

2 Comments:

Blogger 一隻熊 said...

Yes.. very very touching indeed...

March 24, 2006 4:04 PM  
Blogger Gene Ho said...

Hi 一隻熊!

Thank you for taking the time to read thru my *cheong-hei entry, and thanks for popping by too! ;)

March 25, 2006 1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

back to top